Our story began in 1971. Back then we were a roaster and retailer of whole bean and ground coffee, tea and spices with a single store in Seattle’s Pike Place Market. Today, we are privileged to connect with millions of customers every day with exceptional products and more than 24,000 retail stores in 70 countries.… Read More
If you are interested in an opportunity, please email Mr. Kim L. Hunter at email@example.com with your resume.
Starbucks – Director, Corporate Communications
Position Director, Corporate Communications
Company Starbucks Coffee Company
Location Seattle, WA
Reports To Jaime Riley, Vice President, Corporate & Executive Communications
Director, Corporate Communications Role:
This job contributes to Starbucks success by establishing strategic direction for communications programs across the enterprise in order to enhance brand positioning and communications initiatives to meet overall marketing and business initiatives. Protects and enhances the Company’s internal and external reputation. Provides timely strategic communications counsel to all levels of the organization, including senior leaders. Leads teams of communicators to execute and implement communications strategies and plans. Models and acts in accordance with Starbucks guiding principles.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Responsibilities and essential job functions include but are not limited to the following:
- Leadership– Setting goals for the work group, developing organizational capability, and modeling how we work together:
- Communicates the strategic direction of the Company and corresponding department goals to the team.
- Identifies and communicates key responsibilities and practices to ensure the immediate team of direct reports promotes a successful attitude, confidence in leadership, and teamwork to achieve business results.
- Identifies, develops and communicates company initiatives, events, programs and key messages to protect and enhance the Company’s reputation.
- Supports the implementation of company programs to ensure the success of the Company.
- Planning and Execution– Developing strategic and operational plans for the work group, managing execution, and measuring results:
- Leads highly complex, corporate communications strategy and execution for the business, social impact, public policy and reputation management efforts.
- Develops preparedness plans for potential and/or emerging issues affecting the business and/or brand.
- Recognizes and can adjust to the 24/7 nature of corporate and reputation management communications.
- Executes rapid response communications strategies, adjusting priorities to manage new and emerging issues and situations both internal and external to the organization.
- Develops annual and long-term communications strategies and tactics to maintain and enhance Starbucks culture and internal and external reputation, build trust in the Starbucks brand, and position the Company as one of the world’s most admired brands.
- Develops annual operating plan and budget, and quarterly forecast updates.
- Plans and manages business unit and department processes and practices to ensure that programs are aligned with company business goals and objectives.
- Prepares, communicates and educates client groups and team on key messages and communications strategies. Counsels senior management on specific tactics and timelines for implementation.
- Prepares, communicates and educates client groups and team on changes in policies and practices within the organization.
- Business Requirements – Providing functional expertise and executing functional responsibilities:
- Counsels business units, market business units, departments and executive and field management partners on communications issues, strategies and events.
- Develops and implements procedures for more efficient communication to meet the needs and expectations of internal and external audiences in a manner that protects and enhances the Company’s reputation.
- Initiates analyses of issues that might impact the Company, and develops and executes proactive and reactive plans for issues management.
- Participates in cross-functional teams to ensure continuity of business unit/department plans across the Company.
- Provides guidance and direction to business units/departments to ensure coordination of communications processes and understanding of key issues and strategies.
- Partner Development & Team Building – Providing partners with coaching, feedback, and developmental opportunities and building effective teams:
- Challenges and inspires partners to achieve business results.
- Conducts and ensures the completion of performance reviews.
- Ensures partners adhere to legal and operational compliance requirements.
- Oversees training and development of partners directly and indirectly managed and makes effective staffing decisions.
- Provides coaching, direction and leadership support to team members in order to achieve partner, business and customer results.
Summary of Experience
- Corporate communications, preferably at a multi-unit retailer or an agency (10 years)
- Developing, leading and managing teams (10 years)
- Consulting with senior business leaders in the design and implementation of communications strategies and initiatives
- Ability to apply knowledge of media landscape and prepare integrated communications strategies to achieve successful outcomes in cross-functional projects and activities
- Ability to influence through strong interpersonal, diplomatic and persuasive skills to assist groups in achieving consensus and buy-in
- Demonstrated experience in corporate communications, preferably at a multi-unit retailer or an agency
- Strong media relations skills, including proven experience as spokesperson
- Experience in crisis/issues communications, public policy communications and brand reputation management
- Strong presentation skills
- Ability to apply sound business principles and practices to project management and change management processes
- Effective in driving work forward while managing up and across the organization
- Ability to interact with senior management and communicate at all levels of the organization
- Ability to work in a team and influence others
- Demonstrated ability to apply general business knowledge and experience in a complex, fast-paced global environment
- Demonstrated ability to develop and lead execution of effective communication programs and plans both internal and external across the enterprise
- Effective budget and people management skills
- Ability to collaborate effectively with colleagues, agencies and partners across the organization
- Exceptional oral and written communications skills
- Establishes and communicates a compelling and inspired vision, creates competitive winning strategies and plans, ensures department strategies are aligned with company strategies
- Willing to take a managed risk to drive the business forward
Creating the Environment
- Develops a positive, respectful, productive and professional work environment
Building and Maintaining Relationships
- Establishes positive connections with others so as to facilitate the attainment of business results
Developing for the Future
- Continuously develops the competencies of both self and others
Working at Starbucks Coffee Company
Our mission: to inspire and nurture the human spirit – one person, one cup and one neighborhood at a time.
With our partners, our coffee and our customers at our core, we live these values:
- Creating a culture of warmth and belonging, where everyone is welcome.
- Acting with courage, challenging the status quo and finding new ways to grow our company and each other.
- Being present, connecting with transparency, dignity and respect.
- Delivering our very best in all we do, holding ourselves accountable for results.
- We are performance driven, through the lens of humanity.
Being a Responsible Company
At Starbucks, we have always believed in the importance of building a great, enduring company that strikes a balance between profitability and a social conscience.
Ethical Sourcing: We take a holistic approach to ethically sourcing high quality coffee. This includes responsible purchasing practices, supporting farmer loans and forest conservation programs. When we buy coffee this way, it helps foster a better future for farmers and a more stable climate for the planet. It also helps create a long-term supply of the high-quality beans we’ve been carefully blending, roasting and packing fresh for more than 40 years.
Environmental Stewardship: We share our customers’ commitment to the environment. And we believe in the importance of caring for our planet and encouraging others to do the same. We are working to reduce our environmental footprint through energy and water conservation, recycling and green construction.
Community Involvement: From the neighborhoods where our stores are located to the ones where our coffee is grown – we believe in fostering thriving communities.
Since the beginning, Starbucks has been a different kind of company. One that is dedicated to inspiring and nurturing the human spirit. Committed to serving the finest coffee, creating an exceptional customer experience, and being a great place to work. We are grateful to our partners (employees) for making us the company that we are. And we are honored to be acknowledged for their efforts.
- 100% Rating on the Disability Equality Index
- One of the “World’s Most Admired Companies” – Fortune – 2009-2017
- One of the “World’s Most Ethical Companies” – Ethisphere – 2007-2017
- 100% Rating on the Corporate Equality Index – Human Rights Campaign Foundation – 2015-2017
- One of the “Top 10 Millennial Brands” – Adweek – 2017
- One of the “World’s Most Valuable Brands” – Forbes – 2013-2017
- Named a “Top Growing Global Brand” – Interbrand – 2017
- One of the “Top 10 Military Spouse-Friendly Employers” – Victory Media – 2017
- Howard Schultz, Starbucks Executive Chairman – One of the “World’s Best CEOs” – Barron’s – 2012-2017
- Rosalind Brewer, Starbucks Chief Operating Officer One of the “World’s Most Powerful Women” – Forbes – 2017
- One of the “Most Admired Companies in America” – Fortune – 2003–2015
Tell us why you are a great fit for Starbucks Coffee Company. Please send a cover letter, resume and compensation requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org.
KLH & Associates Contact
Mr. Kim L. Hunter Office: 323.469.8680 ext. 225 Managing Partner Email: email@example.com