Position: Managing Director | Senior Director | Partner
Company: Bully Pulpit Interactive (BPI)
Location: Flexible; preferably DC, NY, CHI, SF
Reports To: President & Founder Andrew Bleeker
About Bully Pulpit Interactive (BPI)
Bully Pulpit Interactive (BPI) is a marketing and communications agency that wins hearts and changes minds for companies and causes. We communicate without barriers and measure what matters. We specialize in public affairs, corporate reputation and social impact. We simplify the complex, shift public opinion, manage in crises, position brands and drive effective global campaigns for our clients. Since we started in 2009, we have applied the lessons of politics to brands and supported over 400 clients across multiple continents. These include FORTUNE 100 companies, Presidents, Senators and Prime Ministers, as well as several of the top non-profits around the world. Our current client roster spans both coasts and a variety of industries, such as McDonald’s, SHRM, the Nuclear Energy Institute, Aon, among others.
During the Trump Administration, BPI has worked with leading advocacy groups including the ACLU, Human Rights Campaign, the Leadership Conference on Civil and Human Rights and several ballot initiatives to help protect and advance the rights of minority groups throughout the country. In the upcoming months, BPI’s team will be supporting some of the most critical Democratic electoral work in individual states and nationally.
BPI builds tools and products to solve our clients’ communications and analytics needs. Its clients need to identify and persuade hard-to-reach audiences – and sometimes the tools to do this don’t exist. BPI’s Labs team builds and customizes platforms to measure the impact of content, reach the right audience, and track large amounts of relevant data.
The firm has used these tools to improve reputations of FORTUNE 100 companies, reach key elected officials when their attention is spread thin, and measure the impact of reputation on sales or customer acquisition.
For more information on BPI’s technology-driven services, please visit: https://bpimedia.com/product-page
- 2018 Midterms – In 2018, Democrats needed to prove that Donald Trump’s vision for America was not what voters wanted or believed in. Priorities USA, Independence USA, NextGen America, and Everytown for Gun Safety came to BPI, each with their own unique missions and visions, united in their desire to take back the House. Without a presidential candidate to rally behind, and 435 House seats up for grabs, Democratic Independent Expenditure groups were looking at a huge map with countless issues and audiences worthy of persuasion and mobilization efforts
- McDonalds’ Scale for Good – McDonald’s competitors are no longer just Starbucks, Burger King, Chipotle or Chick-fil-a—rather, they’re global brands making values-based investments to improve communities across the globe. More than ever, customers are making purchase decisions based on the alignment of their values with brands. To make a positive impact, while also meeting a new set of consumer needs and expectations, McDonald’s needed to communicate how they’re using their Scale for Good.
Managing Director | Senior Director | Partner Role:
Bully Pulpit Interactive (BPI) is seeking a credentialed communications strategist to join our executive leadership team and help continue to grow our agency. Location flexible, but ideally would be in one of our four current markets: Washington DC, New York, Chicago, or San Francisco.
The perfect candidate for this position lives where we do – at the intersection of the public and private sectors, the nexus of online and off, and selling the world’s biggest ideas. The candidate will thus be comfortable and credible working directly with leaders in both public and private life, as well as those throughout our clients’ organizations. They should thrive and enjoy being part of fast paced environments, understand the pace and flow of client expectations while striving to exceed them, and be experienced leading clients and managing teams across multiple states and time zones.
The ideal candidate flourishes in an entrepreneurial environment and is both a thinker and a doer – someone who thrives on their smarts and the ability to help solve our client’s largest problems. This candidate will serve in a dual role, both as a resource and expert across our teams internally, and as a front-line leader externally managing new business opportunities, leveraging their personal profile, and building relationships. At BPI, we lead from the front and grow our teams with an innovative mindset, continuously pushing the boundaries and possibilities for our clients.
- Client & Account Management – You will be responsible for supporting current and potential BPI clients as they approach their communications strategy, public affairs, executive visibility, reputation management, and political programs. You would set the strategy and lead the seamless integration of work across all channels including traditional press, opinion research, content production, social, paid advertising, and analytics. The perfect candidate will be comfortable serving as the lead strategist and handling the daily management, communication and execution of services for the client, which often include senior management or executive level decision-makers.
- Visibility and Marketing – The perfect candidate has a demonstrated record of leadership in this or a related industry. Building and maintaining your personal brand is a critical tool to market the agency. Through it, you will regularly network, recruit, speak, give interviews, draft thought leadership pieces, and otherwise speak on behalf of the team.
- Subject Matter Expertise – No one is an expert in every field. However, you should already have extensive experience leading communications campaigns at a high level and likely possess deep expertise within one or two of our current disciplines. For instance, you should have a solid grasp of strategic and corporate communications, including media relations and social media program management experience. You’re knowledgeable of major national outlets and publications, their intended audiences, and have relationships with key journalist and editors within the space. You’ve led media trainings, launched events and coached senior managers and decision makers on how to navigate and share complex stories in a world that ebbs and flows with a twenty-four-hour news cycle. We are always learning and innovating, and this candidate must be willing to admit what he or should does not know and be eager to learn as we grow and add services.
- New Business Efforts – The ability to generate net new business is a core component of the role. There is not a rush to do so as you would provide immediate value to current clients, particularly as you learn our agency, team, and approach. Our team also encourages overlap and collaboration on accounts between partners. However, over time, the current partners are each able to regularly manage relatively independent annual books of business of at least $5,000,000. This includes identifying, courting, pitching, and drafting scopes for both new and existing clients – and then being responsible for maintaining these relationships during the actual engagements.
- Agency Management & Communication – Partners who serve on our executive committee serve a critical internal leadership role. You will be seen as a leader of the agency by our team and set the example. You will be responsible for helping build a fun, collaborative culture, but also one that is extremely high performing. You will need to excel at working collaboratively and effectively communicating with internal, cross-office and cross-department team members to ensure timelines and quality expectations for client deliverables are met. The ideal candidate will be just as comfortable drafting a memo outlining high-level and long-term strategic planning suggestions as they are serving as the executive sponsor of internal employee committees or resource groups.
- 15+ years of public affairs, strategic communications experience, preferably in a combination of agency, nonprofit, political, government or corporate communications settings
- Exceptional presentation, writing and analytical skills with the ability to write both strategically and creatively under tight timelines
- Proven project management experience, including overseeing a team managing deliverables for multiple clients
- Seen as a leader by clients like ours in at least one of our current services
- Demonstrated experience winning and growing an independent book of consulting business, or the strong willingness to do so if not from an agency background
- Extremely strong writing and editing capabilities with experience integrating online and offline media
- Experience managing, developing, and mentoring team members
- Positive attitude, strong balance of both humor and commitment, alignment with BPI values
Working at Bully Pulpit Interactive (BPI)
Change is being built at BPI. BPI produces RESULTS THAT MATTER by creating meaningful connections through deeper insights, sharper reach, and tighter bonds. For more information on BPI, please visit the company’s blog, “From the Bully Pulpit.”
BPI team brings together the best in data, creative, and messaging strategy to deliver results-driven marketing and communications. BPI offers a competitive benefits package including:
- 100% employer paid employee healthcare, vision & dental, 50% dependent coverage
- 401(k) with employer match of 4%
- 20 days PTO (increases annually) + 3 flex days
- 12 weeks of paid maternity/paternity leave
- Monthly phone reimbursement
Bully Pulpit Interactive provides equal employment opportunities to all qualified applicants for employment regardless of gender identity, race, color, religion, ancestry, national origin, age, disability, marital status, family responsibilities, sexual orientation, veteran status, citizenship status, matriculation, personal appearance, genetic information or other protected group status.
Recent Bully Pulpit Interactive (BPI) News
- Robert Gibbs joins as Senior Counsel
- BPI conducted recent research on how brands should navigate COVID-19 and changing media consumption behavior
- BPI’s 2020 Campaign Tracker has been used by top-tier journalists to cover the presidential elections including two investigations with the New York Times on the role of Trump’s immigration ads and the specific voters candidates target
Bully Pulpit Interactive (BPI)
- Precision Strategies
- Global Strategy Group
- Glover Park Group
- Subject Matter
- Blue State Digital
- Purple Strategies
Tell us why you are a great fit for BPI. Please send a cover letter, resume and compensation requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org.